Title:  byzantine extravagance
Posted:  Monday 25 February 2013 @ 16:51
Whilst I do keep an eye on modern fashion trends (because I love knowing for instance when the shops are going to be full of pencil skirts or sweet back-button blouses!), I don't usually keep up with the fashion shows. However, when my tumblr dashboard was last night swamped with pictures of the Fall/Winter collection by Dolce and Gabbana, I sat up and took note. I'm an art history geek and one of the things I adore in particular are the Byzantine mosaics that fill the medieval churches of the Mediterranean nations. When on my honeymoon in Rome, I spent a lot of time swooning over the beautiful artwork that covered the walls of the earlier churches (many of the ones in Rome are Renaissance or Baroque but for instance the church of Santa Maria in Trastevere has incredible mosaics which, whilst later than the height of the Byzantine empire, are very much in the style). So when I saw D&G's collection inspired by Sicily's Cathedral of Monreale, I fell in love. Hard. The detailing is exquisite - the dresses themselves are covered in beaded mosaics that mimic those of the cathedral. The shapes are both modern and utterly timeless. And the shoes! I am hoping that this style trickles down to the High Street next autumn because I am LOVING it.

images from Style.com







(the shoes have tiny earrings! Practically Schiaparelli-esque)




If you like this, I seriously recommend checking out some Byzantine art (the Wikipedia post is a good place to start!). It's beautiful, mysterious and wonderfully ethereal. And whilst you're at it, check out the rest of D&G's collection - it's truly awe-inspiring. THIS is why I love fashion.